Four Nigerian nationals have been arrested in India for alleged involvement in drug trafficking, with narcotics and controlled substances worth about ₹15 crore, estimated at N2.1 billion, recovered during a series of operations.
The arrests followed coordinated operations by the Narcotics Control Bureau, state police and other security agencies targeting foreign nationals allegedly involved in drug trafficking and illegal overstaying in India.
According to The Hindu, the investigation began on July 18 after intelligence from the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force led NCB operatives and police to Khanpur in Delhi.
The operation resulted in the arrest of a Nigerian national, Obase Prosper Ogboronjor, and the seizure of more than five kilogrammes of amphetamine.
The NCB said Ogboronjor was also wanted by the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force over an alleged cyber fraud case involving about ₹68 lakh.
The agency also alleged that he had remained in India after his medical visa expired in June 2023.
Follow-Up Operations Uncover Drug Trafficking Network
A follow-up operation on July 21 led investigators to Hans Enclave in Gurugram, where another Nigerian national, Abuchi George Okorie, was arrested.
The operation resulted in the seizure of 9.7 kilogrammes of amphetamine and 67.84 kilogrammes of pseudoephedrine.
The NCB described pseudoephedrine as a controlled substance that can be used in the illicit manufacture of methamphetamine.
Investigators also alleged that Okorie had remained in India after his medical attendant visa, which was valid until June 2015, expired.
Further investigations led officers to a property in Mehrauli, Delhi, on August 3.
There, the NCB said it recovered 318 grammes of cocaine and six grammes of heroin.
Two more Nigerian nationals, Uchenna Stephen Nwanko and Chikezie Joshua Igwe, were arrested during the operation.
The agency alleged that the two men had been living illegally in India for more than 13 years.
An unidentified African woman was also injured while allegedly attempting to escape from the property by jumping from a balcony. The NCB said she was receiving medical treatment.
India Launches Nationwide Crackdown
Following the arrests, the NCB urged hotels, guest houses, landlords and other accommodation providers to comply with regulations governing foreign nationals staying in India.
The agency said accommodation providers must submit the required information about foreign nationals to the relevant authorities in line with India’s Immigration and Foreigners Act, 2025.
The NCB also announced plans for a nationwide operation, Operation Trinetra, in collaboration with state police and immigration authorities.
The fortnight-long campaign, scheduled to begin in the first week of September 2026, will target foreign nationals suspected of illegal overstaying and involvement in drug trafficking.
The NCB said the initiative is aimed at strengthening coordination among security agencies and identifying foreign nationals who may be exploiting immigration loopholes to engage in criminal activities.
