By Gloria Attah
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has dismissed reports suggesting that terrorist groups have established a permanent operational base in Nigeria’s Southwest region, describing recent claims as misleading and capable of causing unnecessary panic among residents.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, said the Armed Forces of Nigeria had already carried out extensive clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park corridor, neutralising criminal elements operating in the area.
The clarification followed the recent attack and abduction of pupils and staff from Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele; and L.A. Primary School in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
Reacting to the incident, the Chief of Defence Staff, General Olufemi Oluyede, conveyed condolences to the families of the victims, the Oyo State Government, and Nigerians at large, describing the abduction as “callous and reprehensible.”
He assured Nigerians that troops were intensifying efforts to rescue all abducted victims safely and unconditionally while calling for calm among citizens.
“The full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe return of every abducted victim,” the statement said.
The DHQ stressed that the attack in Oyo State was an isolated criminal act and should not be interpreted as evidence of an entrenched terrorist structure in the Southwest.
“Current intelligence assessments do not support the conclusion that any structured or permanent terrorist base exists within the forests or hinterlands of the South-West region,” the statement added.
According to the military, troops are currently conducting coordinated search-and-rescue operations across forest corridors and ungoverned spaces in the zone. The DHQ disclosed that soldiers made contact with the suspected criminals two days ago and have since continued pursuit operations.
The military also said it was collaborating with other security agencies, local vigilantes, and community members to gather intelligence that could aid the rescue mission and dismantle criminal networks operating in the area.
The Armed Forces reassured residents of the Southwest that security operations would continue until all abducted victims are rescued and lasting peace restored to the region.
