NDLEA Destroys N301bn Worth of Cocaine, Other Illicit Drugs in Lagos

Gloria Attah
3 Min Read

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency has destroyed 329,865.585 kilogrammes of assorted illicit drugs valued at N301.058 billion in Lagos.

The drugs, destroyed on Monday, included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, cannabis, Canadian Loud, skunk, ephedrine, tramadol, codeine syrup, other opioids and khat leaves.

The NDLEA said the destruction was carried out following orders from the Federal High Court, Lagos Judicial Division, after the conclusion of uncontested cases and seizures that had been abandoned.

According to the agency, 246,864.535 kilogrammes of the destroyed drugs were seized by its Lagos Strategic Command between April 2025 and May 2026.

Another 83,001.05 kilogrammes came from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit operating in Lagos.

Speaking during the exercise, the NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brigadier General Buba Marwa (retd.), described the destruction as a demonstration of Nigeria’s determination to protect its citizens and disrupt criminal enterprises.

Marwa said illicit drugs pose serious threats to young people, families and communities, while also weakening the workforce, increasing healthcare costs and placing additional pressure on public resources.

He also linked drug trafficking to wider security challenges, saying proceeds from the illegal trade can fund organised crime, terrorism and violent extremism.

The NDLEA chairman commended the judiciary, Lagos State Government, military, other security agencies, international partners and members of the public for supporting the fight against illicit drugs.

He warned drug traffickers, financiers, distributors and dealers that the agency would continue to pursue their networks and financial structures.

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, described the destruction of about 300 tonnes of narcotics and psychotropic substances as a reminder of the scale of the drug threat facing communities and young people.

The governor, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, said Lagos remained committed to combating drug abuse and trafficking.

The Comptroller-General of the Nigeria Customs Service, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, also commended the NDLEA, saying the seizures from airports, seaports and land borders sent a strong message to drug dealers that they were no longer welcome in Nigeria.

Adeniyi further warned that drug trafficking provides financial support for criminal groups, including bandits, kidnappers, armed robbers, insurgents and terrorists.

He said the destruction would deny traffickers billions of naira in investments and weaken the financial base of criminal networks.

The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by the Flag Officer Commanding, Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, assured the NDLEA of continued military support for the country’s fight against drug trafficking.

The NDLEA urged Nigerians, parents, schools, religious and traditional leaders and the media to play active roles in preventing drug abuse and trafficking, stressing that the fight requires a collective effort.

Share This Article